How to steam vegetables
|Asparagus||5-8||Tarragon, dill, lemon, vinaigrette|
|Green Beans||15-25||Basil, dill, thyme, mint, oregano, savory, tarragon|
|Broccoli (spears)||10-15||Dill, tarragon, lemon, vinaigrette|
|Broccoli (flowerets)||8-10||Dill, tarragon, lemon, vinaigrette|
|Cabbage (wedges)||15||Carraway, tarragon, savory, dill|
|Cabbage (shredded)||8-12||Carraway, tarragon, savory, dill|
|Carrots (slices or thin strips)||10-20||Ginger, nutmeg, caraway, cinnamon, dill, lemon, mint, orange|
|Eggplant (slices or cubes)||10-15||Marjoram, sage, oregano, basil, Parmesan cheese|
|Green Peas||10-20||Mint, chervil, marjoram, rosemary, garlic, tarragon|
|Potatoes, new (whole)||20-30||Lemon, parsley, vinaigrette, chives, dill, basil, thyme|
|Squash (slices)||10-12||Basil, garlic, rosemary, dill, thyme, oregano|
- Choose 1/2 to 1 cup of vegetables per person from above list.
- Thoroughly rinse, trim and cut vegetables as close to cooking as possible so they will not dehydrate. Cut vegetables the same size so they will cook evenly.
- In a large pot, bring an inch or two of water to a boil over high heat.
- Place the vegetables in steamer on steamer rack. Add additional water to pot if necessary to make sure there is enough water to steam vegetables properly.
- Steam vegetables according to cooking time in chart and only until they are done; time will vary, depending on size and quantity of vegetables.
- Remove vegetables from heat when they are still slightly crisp. Add approximately 1/2 teaspoon of selected seasoning to the vegetables or to taste.
Nutrition Information per serving
Nutrient content will vary depending on vegetables chosen.
Vegetables generally have between 15-25 calories per 1/2 cup.
Starchy vegetables such as potatoes have 60-90 calories per 1/2 cup.